7 Reasons You Should Be Watching ‘This Is Us’
by Julie Perez
The show This Is Us has been on winter break since December 6th and it has definitely felt like the longest break ever. Well, the wait is over because the show returns tonight and being that their last episode ended on an intense cliffhanger, I can’t wait to find out what happens. This show is only half way through their first season and I’m already considering it one of the best shows ever. If you have somehow avoided watching any of the episodes, I am here to tell you that this show is worth watching. Look, I’m not saying that their Marketing Team should be paying me but I am saying that I convinced 6 out of 8 of the Managers I work with to watch the show. So here it is, I’ll be convincing you too; here are the Top reasons why you should be watching This Is Us.
1. Milo Ventimiglia. Okay, so obviously Jake Gyllenhaal holds the number one spot in my heart but Milo’s portrayal of Jack completely caught me off guard. His vulnerability and genuine approach in each scene has quickly made Jack one of my favorite characters.
2. The Chemistry. It’s in the way that the actors pull you into each scene. It’s in the way that you sometimes feel like you’re intruding in someone’s personal moment. The casting director deserves a standing ovation for finding every single one of these wonderful actors and actresses. Their interaction on and off camera is where the magic of this show begins.
3. The Storytelling. This is not your run-of-the-mill television show. The approach to the story is unique in its nature. With each episode, they give you enough of the story to keep you hooked and yet leave you with a million questions.
4. The honesty. Chrissy Metz’s story line alone contains heartbreaking truth that television shows often shy away from. Her character’s journey is difficult to witness and often hits close to home but Chrissy’s acting has you rooting for her when (if played by someone else) you may find yourself only feeling sorry for her. There is strength in this character that could easily be overlooked but with Chrissy playing Katie the strength exudes from the screen.
5. Family. You will find no SUPER heroes in this show, no one with supernatural abilities. This is a show about people; this is a show about family.
6. The words. It’s in the powerful monologues and simple, yet powerful one-liners. It’s in the way that they had me hooked and in tears by the end of Dr. K’s speech in Episode 1 “I like to think that one day you’ll be an old man like me talkin’ a young man’s ear off explainin’ to him how you took the sourest lemon that life has to offer and turned it into something resembling lemonade. If you can do that, then maybe you will still be taking three babies home from this hospital, just maybe not the way you planned.”
7. Magic. The magic is real; I felt it in the first episode. By the end of the first scene I found my heart beating out of my chest, my phone was on silent and the show had my entire attention. The magic is in the fact that the show only keeps getting better with each episode.
Look, obviously I can’t tell you what to do but I’m asking you to trust me on this. This show is worth the investment; the cast deserves your attention, the words demand to be heard and the tears will definitely be streaming down your face. So grab your tissues, make sure to hydrate and watch the new episode of This is Us TONIGHT at 10PM EST/ 9PM PST.